The money side of the business can be a real bitch. Let’s be honest, where the fck do you even start when you’ve been working for someone else your whole life and now all of a sudden you are solely responsible for pricing, invoicing, paying bills, cash flow, and taxes? If you’re like me and received little to no money management education as a child you’re most likely feeling stuck and overwhelmed at the thought of it.
The trick with business and finances is to get comfortable with money. The sooner you sort out your relationship with money and begin to understand the principles surrounding making and holding onto it, the less anxiety you will have when dealing with it.
Here are my top 5 books that taught me a holistic view of making & managing money in my business.
1. Richest Man in Babylon, George Samuel Clason. Published in 1926 it is easy to digest, a simple and very wise book that teaches money management through a collection of parables.
2. One Minute Millionaire, Mark Victor Hansen & Reginald E. Allen. Money is energy. It moves around the world all day every day and your job is to find out what value you have to offer that others are willing to exchange their money for. Two stories in one, this book will tell the tale of a woman with a purpose to make one million dollars, how she did it and teach you the core principles surrounding making and attracting money.
3. Barefoot Investor, Scott Pape. An Australian farmer turned successful investor. Scott is a refreshing and practical voice on money management. He covers everything from how to save for short term and long term goals, preparing yourself for retirement and setting up your children for long-term wealth.
4. Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki. I read this book in the very early days of starting a business and learned a lot about the importance of financial intelligence. An inspiring read that will motivate you to get your shit together. His board game, Cashflow is an entertaining experience if you ever get the chance to play it.
5. Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent, Esther & Jerry Hicks. This book taught me that thoughts play a powerful role in your ability to make money. If you are vibrating at a frequency of ‘poor, lack or not enough’ you will attract more of the same. By harnessing the power of your thoughts and the energy you put out into the world you can dramatically increase your wealth potential.
FOR PRACTICAL HELP ON HOW TO SET UP YOUR BUSINESS BANK ACCOUNTS, TAXES AND PROFIT AND LOSS SHEETS, DOWNLOAD OUR FREE MONEY MANAGEMENT GUIDE, CREATED IN COLLABORATION WITH THE GUYS AT MORE TIME FINANCIAL