Got an idea for a business or been toiling with a little side hustle concept? Here’s how you’ll know you’re ready to make some serious moves in the direction of your dream.
- You’re feeling all the feels – mostly pain, frustration, and stuckness. Yep! I’ve been here before and 90% of my coaching clients start their business from this place. That moment when you realise you aren’t really that happy. Spending your days turning up to a job that no longer inspires you and surrounding yourself with people who are just ‘getting by’ and too scared to question what else is out there, is where it all begins. You are no longer ok settling for a job that pays the bills and ticks all the boxes, the pain of working for someone else dream makes you question ‘what’s this all for?’
- You can’t stop thinking about your side hustle. This is where it starts to get dangerous. Your mind starts to daydream what it would be like to spend your days working for yourself. Your Instagram feed is filled with people at exciting events, out for coffee or traveling the world and instead of hating on them you start to think, how can I get this lifestyle? Your mind wanders from what you’re meant to be doing at your job and all you can do is fantasize about the life of your dreams, doing more of what you love making the big bucks for your own bank account and not someone else’s.
- You told someone about it. Now you’re really f*%ked! Once it comes out in words it means you’re one step closer to taking that leap. You no longer think of it as a dream and are starting to piece together how you can make this baby of yours a reality. You’ve voiced it! Said it out loud, risked someone laughing at you or telling you it can’t be done, you must be serious. The problem is, now the cat is out of the bag, there’s someone in the real world (not just your head) who is going to keep you accountable to making your dream a reality. You’re in big trouble now, you’re very close to the point of no return.
- You find yourself wanting to work on it at the weirdest of hours. You no longer desire to be out on a weekend because your time is too precious to be spent hungover and you’d rather invest your dollars in website templates then negroni’s. You’ve changed! All of a sudden you have more time up your sleeve to hustle on your side project and you don’t remember the last time you worked this hard and with such clarity. You can’t be stopped and you’re making real progress. Things are snowballing now, it looks like you could have a real business on your hands. People are starting to take notice and you find yourself telling more and more people with more and more confidence in what you’re creating. If you’re not careful you’re going to start making real dollars real soon.
- You can’t imagine going back. You’re officially ruined. You’ve built your idea to a point that there is no turning back. If someone said to you today, that you could never work another day on your side hustle and had to stay in your ‘day job’ you would feel excruciating pain. You’re in. You’re 110% committed and nothing is going to stop you from taking that leap from 9-5 to entrepreneur life. You’re ready. It can’t not happen. You’re determined, clear, focused and unstoppable. You will do whatever it takes to make this baby profitable and you’ve started mapping out an exit strategy to move you from one reality to the other. Fear is present but no longer crippling. You can see a way through and nothing and no-one will stop you from making your dream a reality.
What do you do now?
Act now. If you’re reading this and your heart is racing and you’re like, yep this is me! You have to act now! Do something about it. Maybe even join our 2019 Coaching Academy to get a crash course on all things business.
Surround yourself with people who get it. A coach, mentor, colleagues, peers a community. You’re going to need all the help you can get to stay on this path of entrepreneurship
Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Go slow if you need to but don’t stop. When you stop, that’s when the fear catches up and takes over. Keep moving.
Seek advice. You don’t have to go it alone. There are going to be plenty of challenges along the way and most of the time it will be completely on your back to find solutions, so where possible get advice, support and feedback from professionals, experts or idols who have gone before you.