Kay here, it’s been a while! As some of you might have picked up on Instagram, I’ve been knee-deep in writing my first book!
For those of you who may have missed the news, a quick update – in January this year I signed a book publishing deal with Hardie-Grant who asked me to write a title called ‘How to Start Your Side Hustle’ a pocket guide print publication that will be distributed across Australia, USA, UK & NZ this time next year.
On Friday I submitted my first draft of 40,000 words, 15 chapters, tonnes of worksheets, activities and bonus resources to help guide the reader into making their idea a reality.
Whilst I’ve been working on this content for the past five years, putting it all in one place, researching evidence as to how and why certain things work, weaving in mindset hacks and giving examples to support a lesson, was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.
There is something very challenging about starting with an idea from scratch and setting out to bring it out of your head and onto paper.
It was a wild journey of self-doubt, procrastination, fear and imposter syndrome. By the time I wrote my final chapter last Monday, I collapsed in tears on my loungeroom floor then had to walk around the block a few times in order to let what I had just achieved sink in.
The best part about the process for me was putting myself back at the beginning of starting a business. I know StartUp Creative can be that ‘inspiration hit’ for you guys on the journey but this last 6 months, especially the final three weeks, it was my turn to take my own advice and put into action what I spend my days coaching my clients to do – JUST START! For those who cheered me on via IG and email, I am so very grateful, I needed you and couldn’t have done it without you!
In the process, I was reminded of what it really takes to hold your dream front and centre, get up every day and do something about it. To push yourself beyond the comfort of your bed, social life and other work in order to laser focus and give it everything you’ve got!
A few things I learnt along the way:
- It doesn’t matter what’s happening outside of you, show up anyway and if you want it bad enough you’ll find a way
- nothing magical comes easy, it’s hard work writing a book and meeting a deadline amongst moving cities, COVID-19, a computer virus and so many other distractions – are you capable of staying on track regardless?
- your goals don’t work if you don’t- at the end of the day the only thing between you and what you want most is the work you’re willing to put in, it doesn’t matter how much you learn, it comes down to the action you take when no one else is around
- don’t go it alone – the best thing I ever did surround myself with a team of people smarter than me to help me write this book, I had editors, books, podcasts, notes, advice and a coach/mentor to help me stay focused, give feedback and help me see a way through the tough days as well as keep me accountable
- practice makes perfect – from daily meditations, getting up at 5 am, pushing myself to write all day and not do other fun stuff, say no to friends and family and just get anything on paper – they all became vital habits that I practised over and over again and eventually, the routine got easier and the words sounded better – even if you don’t think you’ve got what it takes, start, get in the game and keep practising until you become better
I shared a little more about how the book deal magically appeared in my life on my IGTV as well as some other lessons from the journey – you can check it out here.
I’m excited to be back in the business of 1:1 coaching, recording podcasts and putting together an online course this week. I feel like I’ve been through the fire of transformation and I am so excited to share the lessons from along the way and to help you go bigger and better with your dreams and goals this year!
It’s crazy how once you come out the other side of one of the hardest times in your life, everything all of a sudden seems much easier and lighter – it’s nice to be back with you!
If you’ve like to book in a coaching session for August you can flick me an email here for availability and more details.
Stay tuned for the launch of MINDSET OF THE ENTREPRENEUR Online Course Coming Soon! Sign up here for updates
** artwork by rnr.creative