What is the secret to success?
It doesn’t interest me what your version of success is, it will be different for everyone based on our life experiences so far.
What most of us are seeking on the quest to ‘success’ is something different for our life that we don’t yet have. Be it a business of your own, more profit in your existing business, working with a dream client, travelling the world doing what you love or perhaps not working at all.
At every stage in life we seek to grow, expand and change our current circumstances in whatever area of our life that we feel less satisfied with. Change can be a difficult and painful process for some, depending on how embedded your past conditioning and habits are and how big and scary your new vision is.
The good news is, change is inevitable. If we weren’t seeking to grow and evolve, we would become stagnate. Stagnation breeds sickness, decay, frustration and eventually will lead to backwards motion.
How do we know we’re ready for a change? We feel it in our bodies. We sense a discomfort, unease and longing for something new, different and the unknown.
To get yourself from point A (where you are now in your life) to point B (where you want to be in your life) here are a few simple steps you can take to start the journey towards your new life.
- Lean into the discomfort. Yes, change is scary and rightly so, it requires one to take a leap off a firm and comfortable edge where we know what to expect, out into the void of the unknown where we have no bloody clue if or how it will work out. The truth of the matter is if you want something different you have to be prepared to do something different. If the process of creation were easy, everyone would be doing it and we’d have a lot less unhappy people on this planet. Only the brave reap the rewards of true and lasting change because they are prepared to take the leap. It will feel uncomfortable but instead of allowing that feeling to become an excuse as to why ‘now isn’t the right time’, lean into it and remind yourself that you’re on the edge of something new and exciting. The leap will be the hardest part, trust me.
- Dream BIG! Once you’ve made a commitment to yourself that you are no longer prepared to shrink back into the comfort of your known environment that is no longer serving you – allow yourself to DREAM into what it is that you truly want for your life. GO BIG! It should feel a little scary, overwhelming and at the same time exciting, that’s when you know something amazing is just around the corner.
- Make a plan. You will likely experience a whole lot of fear and self-doubt right about now. Can I really do this? Can I afford it? Am I smart enough? Yep, all fair questions – but instead of saying ‘I can’t’ or ‘can I really?” Ask yourself the question ‘HOW can I make this work?’
- Surround yourself with likeminded people. No great superhero, athlete or game-changer go it alone. Chances are you’ll soon find yourself looking back to the comfort of what you once knew and weighing up whether you should just turn back now and forget that you even had that dream. DON’T! It never ends well, you’ll just be delaying the inevitable. Get yourself a superhero squad that has already walked the path, surrounded yourself with brilliant minds and likeminded big thinkers. They hold the wisdom that you need and more importantly will show you that it can be done. This squad will save you time and time again when the mind kicks in and attempts to talk you out of it, lean on them, learn from them and absorb their energy to help you stay on track. This could be a coach or mentor that you pay for or can be achieved by putting yourself in the room with likeminded people at events and workshops or investing time to learn from podcasts, books and courses from some of the best in the game.
- Do the work. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Find time in your diary to work on your plan. Commit to taking massive action. Make the phone call, send the email, build the website, pitch yourself for work. Whilst you can have a team around you showing you the way and cheering you on, you have to be the one to take the steps. If you want it bad enough, you will discipline yourself to do what needs to be done. HINT: Most of what you want in your life has already been accomplished by someone who has gone before you, it’s not rocket science. The only difference between you and them is that they set their sights on where they wanted to go and did not stop until they got there. Their success is available to you if you’re prepared to do the work. Just start.
YOU’RE INVITED! I am co-hosting a Day Long Innovation Festival.The day will be jam-packed with keynote speakers, masterclasses and likeminded experts. Put yourself in the room with smart people and join us in Melbourne on 25th March –
9 am-4 pm
2 x Masterclasses
Prizes and Giveaways
IT’S FREE! RSVP HERE